Re: [INTERFACES] guess what its int 64 time again. - Mailing list pgsql-interfaces

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [INTERFACES] guess what its int 64 time again.
Date
List pgsql-interfaces
StOo <stuart@comodo.net> writes:
> Im trying to store 8byte information in char form on the database now
> so i can memcpy it back to a int64 when returning a tuple. But all my
> current attempts seem to fail beacuse i cant get the data stored
> correctly.im using PQexec to senddown a sql command string built by an
> sprintf , which is causing part of my problem as you have to display
> the data as %i %c %s etc and that where it shags up.

Huh?

As far as a user program goes, int8 acts just like any other integer
type: you pass it to and from libpq in the form of an ASCII digit
string.  Perhaps you're misusing sprintf --- most platforms require
either "%lld" or "%qd" to format a long long int.

Also, you should check whether 'configure' built the int8 support
at all --- the 6.4.* version of configure is not very bright about
coping with all the various variants of 64-bit-int support on different
platforms.  (6.5 is much smarter.)  Does the int8 regression test pass
for you?

            regards, tom lane