Re: Variable length varlena headers redux - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Variable length varlena headers redux
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Magnus Hagander wrote:
>> Could the "new style" macros be back-ported to previous releases in case
>> we do this?

> Yes, Tom and I talked about this.  It could appear in the next minor
> release of all branches.

I don't really see the point of that.  Third-party authors who want
their code to be backwards-compatible would do something like

#ifndef SET_VARLENA_LEN
#define SET_VARLENA_LEN(var,len)  (VARATT_SIZEP(var) = (len))
#endif

While we could provide this same macro in later updates of the current
release branches, those authors are still going to want to include the
above in their code so as to be able to compile against existing
releases.  Therefore there's not really much point in us doing it too.