Re: Relation 'pg_user' does not exist - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Relation 'pg_user' does not exist
Date
List pgsql-general
Matt Beauregard <matt@designscape.com.au> writes:
>> Ugh, something's more hosed than I thought, then.  What do you get
>> from "select * from pg_class" in template1?

> 65 rows of stuff, including
>  pg_user                         |       0 |       70 |     0 |
>  0 |         0 |            0 | f           | f           | r       |
>   8 |         0 |           0 |        0 |        0 |       0 | f
>     | t           |
>  pg_rules                        |       0 |       70 |     0 |
>  0 |         0 |            0 | f           | f           | r       |
>   3 |         0 |           0 |        0 |        0 |       0 | f
>     | t           |
>  pg_views                        |       0 |       70 |     0 |
>  0 |         0 |            0 | f           | f           | r       |
>   3 |         0 |           0 |        0 |        0 |       0 | f
>     | t           |

The plot thickens ... what did you say the error message was exactly?

Actually, what'd be really useful here is to see where the error is
being reported.  Try this:

Window 1: start psql in template1

Window 2: find out PID of backend connected to psql; then, as postgres
user, run "gdb /path/to/postgres/executable" and do this:

    attach PID-of-backend
    break elog
    cont

Window 1: issue failing query (whatever will provoke the error about
pg_user not existing)

Window 2: should get a breakpoint response.  Say

    bt
    quit

and send the output from the bt command ...

            regards, tom lane