Re: Backpatching of "Teach the regular expression functions to do case-insensitive matching" - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Backpatching of "Teach the regular expression functions to do case-insensitive matching"
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> On mån, 2011-05-09 at 12:42 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>> The problem we'd have is that there's no way (at present) to make such
>> a test pass on every platform.  Windows has its own set of locale names
>> (which initdb fails to install as collations anyway) and we also have
>> the problem that OS X can be counted on to get UTF8 sorting wrong.
>> (It might be okay for case-folding though; not sure.)  Possibly we could
>> just provide an alternate expected file for OS X, but I don't see a
>> decent workaround for Windows --- it would pretty much have to have its
>> very own test case.

> Windows >=Vista has locale names similar to Linux, and my cursory
> testing with some hacked up test suite indicates that it produces the
> same results as the Linux expected file, modulo some error message
> differences.  So I think this could be made to work, it just needs
> someone to implement a few bits.

Well, that would be great, but the "someone" is not going to be me;
I don't do Windows.  I'd be willing to take responsibility for putting
in the regression test once the necessary Windows-specific code was
committed, though.