Re: eeeh... buffer leak? - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: eeeh... buffer leak?
Date
Re: eeeh... buffer leak?
List pgsql-bugs
Lennert Buytenhek <buytenh@gnu.org> writes:
>> Hmm, that's interesting.  It shouldn't be possible for PrivateRefCount
>> (the last value printed) to become negative.  Can you give a sequence
>> for reproducing this notice from a standing start?

> Unfortunately not. I was very very surprised when I saw this (as I never
> got any errors like this), and I tried to reproduce what I did, but I
> didn't get this message again. (This is a pretty heavily-used database
> (lots of clients via the network), so the odds of reproducing the exact
> sequence of events is pretty small anyway).

PrivateRefCount is local to a particular backend, so the behavior of
other clients shouldn't matter (in theory anyway ;-)).  It should be
sufficient to reproduce the sequence executed by your specific session.
Not that that helps much if you don't remember, but please try.

> So.. what am I to do if I ever get this message again?

Don't panic ... but see if you can reproduce it.

            regards, tom lane