Re: Function Vanished - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Function Vanished
Date
ÁY¼gªº§t¸q  ("S.F. Lee" <sflee_tw@yahoo.com>)
List pgsql-sql
"Josh Berkus" <josh@agliodbs.com> writes:
>     I'm using 7.1 Beta 3, which has been pretty stable up until now.  This
> morning, I went to export a function I spent 5 hours debugging on on
> Friday to text so that I could have a copy of the final version.  To my
> horror, the function was GONE from the system catalog (pg_proc).

Ick.  Were you maybe working on it inside a transaction that you forgot
to commit?

> I have
> not run VACUUM on the database anytime recently ... is there any
> possibility that my function is still present as a "deleted" row?

Should still be there in the table, if you haven't vacuumed.  Getting
it out again is another story though.  If it was a small enough function,
good ol' "strings" would do to extract the function body, which is
probably all that you really need.  But if it's more than a couple K
then the text will be compressed and difficult to spot or extract.
        regards, tom lane