Re: postgresql and process titles - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: postgresql and process titles
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org> writes:
> On Sun, Jun 11, 2006 at 07:43:03PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Let's see the evidence.

> The calls to setproctitle() (it looks like 4 setproctitle syscalls per
> DB query) are causing contention on the Giant lock 25% of the time on
> a dual p4 + HTT.  Disabling process title setting completely gives an
> 8% peak performance boost to the super-smack select benchmark.

I think you misunderstood me: I asked for evidence, not interpretation.
What are you measuring, and with what tool, and what are the numbers?
On what benchmark case?  And what did you do to "disable process title
setting completely"?

The reason I'm being doubting Thomas here is that I've never seen any
indication on any other platform that ps_status is a major bottleneck.
Now maybe FreeBSD really sucks, or maybe you're onto something of
interest, but let's see the proof in a form that someone else can
check and reproduce.