Re: BUG #13733: ~/.psql_history* corrupted - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: BUG #13733: ~/.psql_history* corrupted
Date
List pgsql-bugs
> I have noticed that building PostgreSQL with libxml support on El
> Capitan by default ends up building against the system libedit, because
> it has a symlink at /usr/lib/libreadline.dylib, and xml2-config points
> to that directory, so it ends up early in the search path.

> Since I don't have the pre-El Capitan installation anymore, and can't
> verify whether this changed, but the problem is pretty clear.

Hm, I do not see anything like that on Yosemite:

$ which xml2-config
/usr/bin/xml2-config
$ xml2-config
Usage: xml2-config [OPTION]

Known values for OPTION are:

  --prefix              print the install prefix
  --libs                print library linking information
  --cflags              print pre-processor and compiler flags
  --modules             module support enabled
  --help                display this help and exit
  --version             output version information
$ xml2-config --libs
-lxml2
$ xml2-config --cflags

-I/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.11.sdk/usr/include/libxml2
$ xml2-config --prefix
/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.11.sdk/usr

The /usr/lib/libreadline.dylib symlink has been there pretty much
forever, so that's not a new hazard.

You didn't say, but I assume what you're seeing is that "xml2-config
--cflags" now emits some -L switches along with -I?

Maybe we could fix that by inserting xml2-config's switches after the
user's, instead of before.

            regards, tom lane