Re: SET NULL / SET NOT NULL - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: SET NULL / SET NOT NULL
Date
Re: SET NULL / SET NOT NULL  (Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
> Say in the future we want to support changing column type as well.  How
> would we work that in?

> ALTER TABLE blah ALTER COLUMN col SET int4;  ??????

Seems one keyword shy of a load; I'd prefer

ALTER TABLE blah ALTER COLUMN col SET TYPE int4;

Otherwise, every keyword that might appear after SET will have to be
fully reserved (else it couldn't be distinguished from a type name).

I like the "SET NULL"/"SET NOT NULL" variant better than SET/DROP, even
though "SET NULL" is perhaps open to misinterpretation.  "DROP NOT NULL"
seems just as confusing for anyone who's not read the documentation :-(