Re: createuser patch - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: createuser patch
Date
List pgsql-patches
> Here is a patch to createuser, to make it handle some of the options of
> CREATE ROLE.

> While developing it, I noticed it takes an annoying number of options,
> or ask an annoying number of questions.  I thought about producing a
> version called "createrole" which would have all the options and ask
> about them if not supplied, but if called with the name "createuser" (a
> symlink or hardlink) it would assume defaults for some of them, like
> INHERIT and LOGIN.  However I don't see this pattern applied elsewhere
> in our programs, so I'm not sure we want to establish this precedent.

Since it is called createuser, and not creategroup or createrole, I
don't see a big problem with making it default to LOGIN and INHERIT
true rather than prompting for them.  I'll make it do that unless there
are objections.

> Also, note that the "inherit" option uses "-y" as the short option,
> because all the other good letters are taken.  In particular, -i is
> taken by the now obsolete SYSID.  -i is accepted but silently ignored.
> I actually wondered if mantaining backwards compatibility was so
> important as in SQL -- if it's not, then we can get rid of -i as SYSID,
> and use it for INHERIT.

It's really hard to believe that anyone is using -i for SYSID in
scripts, so let's just change it.

            regards, tom lane