Re: Temporary tables and miscellaneous schemas - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Temporary tables and miscellaneous schemas
Date
Re: Temporary tables and miscellaneous schemas  (Andrew Sullivan <andrew@libertyrms.info>)
List pgsql-general
Sean Chittenden <sean@chittenden.org> writes:
>> I dislike putting random restrictions on what the \d displays will
>> show.  We have done this in the past (eg, \df doesn't show things it
>> thinks are I/O functions) and by and large it's been a mistake; I
>> think it's created more confusion than it's prevented.

> Hrm...  psql's unfortunately an SQL interface to PostgreSQL and an
> administration tool.  What would you say to adding a -P switch (power
> user) to psql that'd disable any information hiding: the default would
> be to hide non-critical areas including pg_catalog, pg_toast,
> template1, and template0.  \set POWERUSER would also work to toggle
> this.. or just have \P toggle this mode.  Thoughts?

I don't think that really answers my concern, since the sort of folks
who are likely to get confused by not being able to see something that
should be there are exactly the same ones who are not likely to have
turned on a non-default "power user" setting.  If anything, adding such
a setting is likely to increase confusion rather than decrease it,
because people will get accustomed to differing results.

I'm not dead set on this, and will concede gracefully if there's a
consensus that we should change \dn's behavior.  I'm just trying to make
the point that it's a decision with pluses and minuses, not a no-brainer
improvement.

Anyone else out there have an opinion?

            regards, tom lane