Re: Temporary tables and miscellaneous schemas - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Sean Chittenden
Subject Re: Temporary tables and miscellaneous schemas
Date
List pgsql-general
> > Why wouldn't you want to hide pg_temp_*?
>
> So you could see your own temp tables, for instance.
>
> I dislike putting random restrictions on what the \d displays will
> show.  We have done this in the past (eg, \df doesn't show things it
> thinks are I/O functions) and by and large it's been a mistake; I
> think it's created more confusion than it's prevented.
>
> I certainly don't think there is any justification for exposing
> pg_toast if we are going to hide other "system" schemas.  There is
> no normal reason for needing to access toast tables directly, and
> it's only an implementation artifact that they have names at all.

Hrm...  psql's unfortunately an SQL interface to PostgreSQL and an
administration tool.  What would you say to adding a -P switch (power
user) to psql that'd disable any information hiding: the default would
be to hide non-critical areas including pg_catalog, pg_toast,
template1, and template0.  \set POWERUSER would also work to toggle
this.. or just have \P toggle this mode.  Thoughts?

-sc

--
Sean Chittenden