Re: 7.3 Beta Schema and pg_dump - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: 7.3 Beta Schema and pg_dump
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Tom Lane writes:
>> "Jim Buttafuoco" <jim@contactbda.com> writes:
> This seems like a "must" have option for pg_dump,
> If I was to create a patch would it make it into 7.3?
>>
>> I dunno ... I'd like to have it too, but it would break our "no new
>> features during beta" rule.  Comments anyone?

> I do not believe Jim's premise that it would only take a couple of changes
> to a couple of queries.  Clearly, it would take at least some change to
> any query that reads information about schema-aware objects.

Actually, my vision of this was not to change any queries at all, but
just to modify the pg_dump code to include a "select this schema" option.
The infrastructure is already there in pg_dump to mark individual schemas
as to be dumped or not --- we only need a command-line option that can
mark them.

> And what about cross-schema dependencies?

Given the lack of any dependency tracing in pg_dump at the moment, I
think we just leave that on the user's head for now.  It's not any worse
than the behavior of -t, which is perfectly capable of giving you an
incomplete dump.