Re: REQ: build src/backend/postgres w/o -lncurses or -lreadline - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: REQ: build src/backend/postgres w/o -lncurses or -lreadline
Date
List pgsql-bugs
> It is my understanding that having them there causes no bloat in the
> binary.  No symbols are resolved in those libs.
>>
>> Perhaps not, but the postgres binary then becomes dependent on those
>> libs being available (if they're shared).

> Good point.

Autoconf has a bad habit of putting all libraries that it's asked to
check for into a single LIBS list, which makes it quite painful to avoid
linking all those libs to *every* binary built by the distribution.

I don't see much value in fixing this just for libreadline (and even
less in fixing it by disabling readline support entirely).  I think I
recall Peter E. having mentioned that there'd be a better answer in
autoconf 2.50 ... so I'm inclined not to touch the problem until that
comes out.

            regards, tom lane