Re: REQ: build src/backend/postgres w/o -lncurses or -lreadline - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: REQ: build src/backend/postgres w/o -lncurses or -lreadline
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Tom Lane writes:

> Autoconf has a bad habit of putting all libraries that it's asked to
> check for into a single LIBS list, which makes it quite painful to avoid
> linking all those libs to *every* binary built by the distribution.

PostgreSQL, on the other hand, has the bad habit of using a single
configure script to configure rather separate binaries.  ;-)

> I don't see much value in fixing this just for libreadline (and even
> less in fixing it by disabling readline support entirely).  I think I
> recall Peter E. having mentioned that there'd be a better answer in
> autoconf 2.50 ... so I'm inclined not to touch the problem until that
> comes out.

I don't see how autoconf 2.50 ("any day now") would change anything here.
We could make up new variables like READLINE_LIBS, but where do we stop?
I don't have a good answer.