Re: Ungooglable error message when running initdb: Symbol not found: _check_encoding_conversion_args - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Ungooglable error message when running initdb: Symbol not found: _check_encoding_conversion_args
Date
List pgsql-general
August Lilleaas <augustlilleaas@gmail.com> writes:
> I'm configuring with `./configure
> --prefix=/usr/local/Cellar/postgresql/8.4.0`, without sudo. I hawe chowned
> /usr/local so that I don't need to sudo it. I'm getting the following error
> when running `initdb` after successfully compiling postgresql

>   Symbol not found: _check_encoding_conversion_args

Is it possible the 'postgres' you're invoking is not 8.4.0 but something
a bit older?  That function was added to the backend relatively
recently.

The other possibility that comes to mind is that this is Snow
Leopard-specific breakage.  But others have reported successful builds
on SL.

            regards, tom lane