Re: Ungooglable error message when running initdb: Symbol not found: _check_encoding_conversion_args - Mailing list pgsql-general

From August Lilleaas
Subject Re: Ungooglable error message when running initdb: Symbol not found: _check_encoding_conversion_args
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, Sep 2, 2009 at 4:41 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
August Lilleaas <augustlilleaas@gmail.com> writes:
> I'm configuring with `./configure
> --prefix=/usr/local/Cellar/postgresql/8.4.0`, without sudo. I hawe chowned
> /usr/local so that I don't need to sudo it. I'm getting the following error
> when running `initdb` after successfully compiling postgresql

>   Symbol not found: _check_encoding_conversion_args

Is it possible the 'postgres' you're invoking is not 8.4.0 but something
a bit older?  That function was added to the backend relatively
recently.

There is no other postgresql on my system, so that can't be it.

The other possibility that comes to mind is that this is Snow
Leopard-specific breakage.  But others have reported successful builds
on SL.

Indeed, that's what bothers me. I'll try to use root, create a separate postgres user, and a few other things. I'm sure it's just something trivial I'm overlooking.

August Lilleaas