Re: The folding of unquoted names to lower case in - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: The folding of unquoted names to lower case in
Date
List pgsql-general
Lincoln Yeoh <lyeoh@pop.jaring.my> writes:
> Would a compile time setting be easier to do than a GUC? Everything
> unquoted folds up, and the system tables when doing initdb are all upper
> case (UGH!).

This might be doable as far as the backend itself goes, but I worry
about the repercussions for client-side code.  To have a usable
installation you'd need libpq, psql, pg_dump, JDBC driver, etc etc
to all work in either mode.  Not sure how far the implications extend
--- but our experience with the autocommit option leads me to be wary.

You could possibly get away with making pg_dump depend on the same
compile-time option as the backend, but for the client libraries in
general it would be a highly annoying restriction to have to be sure
all your machines are compiled the same way.  libpq's
internally-generated queries are few and simple enough that we'd not
have much problem making sure they are case-agnostic, but can the same
be said of JDBC or ODBC?

            regards, tom lane