Re: 7.3.3 COMPILE FAILURE: pg_dump (fwd) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: 7.3.3 COMPILE FAILURE: pg_dump (fwd)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Larry Rosenman <ler@lerctr.org> writes:
>> cc -O -g -I../../../src/interfaces/libpq -I../../../src/include
>> -I/usr/local/include -DBINDIR=\"/usr/local/pgsql/bin\"  -c -o pg_dump.o
>> pg_dump.c UX:cc: WARNING: debugging and optimization mutually exclusive;
>> -O disabled UX:acomp: ERROR: "pg_dump.c", line 192: incomplete
>> struct/union/enum option: long_options

This implies that your system has the getopt_long() subroutine (in one
library or another) but <getopt.h> either doesn't exist or doesn't
define "struct option".  This is not particularly hard to believe,
since getopt_long() might be installed in a nonstandard place and its
header file too.

CVS tip attempts to support long options with or without a system copy
of getopt_long(), but I fear that it will still break on platforms like
yours, because there is no separate configure check to see if we need to
provide a definition of struct option.

Peter, what can we do to fix that?