Re: Update on Supporting Encryption in Postgresql - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Update on Supporting Encryption in Postgresql
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Murat Kantarcioglu <kanmurat@cs.purdue.edu> writes:
> This piece will be a part of a bigger design and the problems
> mentioned are very real. In the future, our goal is to design a database
> system where the processing is done in a "secure coprocessor"(i.e no one
> will be able to see what is inside) and
> the small code inside the co-processor is verified using formal methods.

[ raised eyebrow... ]  You think a SQL database is small code you can
verify using formal methods?  I don't really see how you can expect that
the decrypted data can be held entirely within a small secured area and
still get any useful work done.