Re: Extended SERIAL parsing - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Extended SERIAL parsing
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Zoltan Boszormenyi <zboszor@dunaweb.hu> writes:
> after some experimentation, I came up with the attached patch,
> which implements parsing the following SERIAL types:

As has been pointed out before, it would be a seriously bad idea to
implement the SQL syntax for identity columns without matching the
SQL semantics for them.  That would leave us behind the eight-ball
when we wanted to implement the SQL semantics.  Right now we have
a useful but non-standard semantics, and a useful but non-standard
syntax, and those two should stick together.

I'm not too happy with converting SERIAL4 and SERIAL8 into reserved
words, either, as I believe this patch does.

Some other things missing are documentation and pg_dump support.