Re: [HACKERS] new return value of PQfsize - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [HACKERS] new return value of PQfsize
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Edmund Mergl <E.Mergl@bawue.de> writes:
> the libpq-function PQfsize() now returns int instead of
> short. It looks like, that this needs some adaption in the
> backend, because now the size of a variable length field is
> returned as 65535 instead of -1.

Oops.  That's libpq's bug, not the backend's.

I thought that the rearrangement of libpq's interface
would be a good time to hide the fact that field sizes are
currently restricted to short --- which was visible in the
return type of PQfsize, and nowhere else in libpq's API.

But I guess I forgot to ensure that sign extension would happen
correctly :-(.  Will fix.