Re: Index order - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Index order
Date
List pgsql-general
Glyn Astill <glynastill@yahoo.co.uk> writes:
> I was just wondering if there's any way to tweak the way an an index is ordered on a text field?

> I have a table with a varchar field "artist" (see table def below),
and if I order by the field "artist" it does not order as expected when
there are characters such as ^ at the start of the text.

You didn't say what you consider "expected", but I suspect that the
answer is you want to use a different locale setting ... probably C.
Unfortunately there's currently no way to change that short of initdb.

            regards, tom lane