Re: Index order - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Glyn Astill
Subject Re: Index order
Date
List pgsql-general

> > Hi chaps,
> >
> > I was just wondering if there's any way to tweak
> the way an an index is ordered on a text field?
>
> Yes, it's called functional index. Write your function,
> which does
> whatever you want with your data and create index
> (foo(artist))

Hmm, I understand what you're saying, but how ion earth do I create a function that reorders the result based on all
thedifferent characters ^ . * etc that could cause this?

Also does anyone know why this happens? Why is the caret ignored ibn the index order - surely that just plain wrong?