Re: Roadmap for FE/BE protocol redesign - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Roadmap for FE/BE protocol redesign
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> What you need is an updateable cursor on the server side.  It has all the
> facilities you need, including standardized ways to find out the
> updatability metadata.  Please concentrate on that and do not attempt to
> clutter the wire protocol with data that will not withstand a throrough
> investigation of semantics.

So are you voting against adding any attribute-ID info to
RowDescription?  While I'm not that thrilled with it myself, it seems
relatively harmless as long as we can keep the overhead down.  I'm
okay with attrelid/attnum, but would gripe about including more than that.

You're probably right that updatable cursors would be a nicer solution
in the long run, but I don't really see that happening in the next
release or two.