Re: Roadmap for FE/BE protocol redesign - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: Roadmap for FE/BE protocol redesign
Date
Re: Roadmap for FE/BE protocol redesign  (Dave Cramer <dave@fastcrypt.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
Dave Page writes:

> Well what I *really* need has been made quite clear in other posts, but,
> when I say resultset in the same sentence as pgAdmin, I'm referring to
> the ability to enter an arbitrary SQL query, have the results displayed
> in a grid, which can then be editted. To do this pgAdmin needs to be
> able to figure out enough info about the source of the data to generate
> the required insert/update/delete statements.

Right.  But since you can't really write a literal SQL statement that does
an update that refers to a previous query, you are already doing a fair
amount of internal magic anyway, so if the meta-data is determined by
magic as well, that seems consistent.

What you need is an updateable cursor on the server side.  It has all the
facilities you need, including standardized ways to find out the
updatability metadata.  Please concentrate on that and do not attempt to
clutter the wire protocol with data that will not withstand a throrough
investigation of semantics.

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net