Re: Do we need more emphasis on backup? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Do we need more emphasis on backup?
Date
List pgsql-general
"Scott Marlowe" <smarlowe@qwest.net> writes:
> I'm wondering if there's some basic failing in how we're presenting
> backing up the database on a regular basis.

> Maybe even our reputation for reliability hurts a bit here.

I have definitely noticed that a very large percentage of the data-loss
problems we've seen reported lately seem to trace to hardware problems.
Postgres is more reliable than consumer-grade PC hardware.  (And is that
ever a change from when I started working with it ... but I digress.)

We do need to point out that you're only as reliable as your last
backup.  I'm not sure exactly where to say this.

> Now, the SQL documentation set has a tutorial that proceeds it that
> really is a great walk through on the features of PostgreSQL, and I was
> wondering if we needed an administrative walk through in a similar vein?

> It could include load generation scripts written in Perl or PHP or
> something like that to populate and exercise the database for
> demonstration purposes.

Hm, that seems a bit far afield from the problem...

            regards, tom lane