Re: Transaction wraparound problem with database postgres - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Markus Wollny
Subject Re: Transaction wraparound problem with database postgres
Date
List pgsql-general
Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum wrote:
> Hello,
> First of all, it would help you and most of the readers on this list,
> if you have the error messages in english. There is a german
> mailinglist too, if you want to ask in german.

Sorry, I tried to describe the issue as best as I could and included the actual log entries only for completeness, but
wasin too much of a hurry to find the correct translations.

> vacuum all databases, add the VERBOSE option to see, what actually
> happens.

Alas, too late, I got rid of the offending 'postgres' database already by dropping and recreating.

> Are you using the database 'postgres' at all?

No, not at all. Didn't touch it ever after initdb.

> And are you sure, that you include all databases?

Yes. I run the following every night:

su postgres -c '/opt/pgsql/bin/psql -t -c "select datname from pg_database order by datname;" template1 | xargs -n 1
/opt/pgsql/bin/psql-q -c "vacuum verbose analyze;"'

> Any error messages in the vacuum output?

None.

> Oh, and by the way: why do you have autovacuum and a manual vacuum
> run every night plus the vacuum run with verbose?

Paranoia, mostly, I think. I'm using PostgreSQL since long before autovacuum was introduced and always thought that it
couldn'tdo any harm to keep my original vacuum job running once every night, even though autovacuum does a remarkable
job,especially for a couple of busy tables where the nightly vacuum was not quite enough. Plus, having the verbose
outputfrom the log, I get useful info for setting the 'max_fsm_pages'/'max_fsm_relations'-options to sensible values.
Isit a problem to have cron'ed VACUUM-runs in parallel with autovacuum?

>> Urgent help would be very much appreciated.
>
> That's a bit late here ;-)

Ah, well obviously it wasn't - it's always an extremely pleasant surprise when one is actually in dire need of help and
getsan almost immediate and helpful response.

I wish you all happy Easter!

Kind regards

   Markus

Computec Media AG
Sitz der Gesellschaft und Registergericht: Fürth (HRB 8818)
Vorstandsmitglieder: Johannes S. Gözalan (Vorsitzender) und Niels Herrmann
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrates: Jürg Marquard
Umsatzsteuer-Identifikationsnummer: DE 812 575 276