Re: Transaction wraparound problem with database postgres - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum
Subject Re: Transaction wraparound problem with database postgres
Date
List pgsql-general
Hello,

On Fri, 21 Mar 2008 21:50:57 +0100 Markus Wollny wrote:

> My database cluster has just stopped working. I get the following message:
> psql: FATAL:  Datenbank nimmt keine Befehle an, um Datenverlust in Datenbank »postgres« wegen
Transaktionsnummernüberlaufzu vermeiden
> TIP:  Halten Sie den Postmaster an und verwenden Sie ein Standalone-Backend, um VACUUM in der Datenbank »postgres«
auszuführen.

First of all, it would help you and most of the readers on this list, if
you have the error messages in english. There is a german mailinglist
too, if you want to ask in german.

> That's what I just did, but the problem persists. Whenever I issue a 'vacuum', the number of transactions simply
decreases.

vacuum all databases, add the VERBOSE option to see, what actually
happens.

> I am absolutely lost about what to do now - and it's a puzzle how this could have happened in the first place. I have
configuredautovaccum AND I run a vacuum verbose analyze over all databases every single night. What do I do now? Is
theresome alternative to reinit and going back to the last dump?

Are you using the database 'postgres' at all? And are you sure, that
you include all databases? Any error messages in the vacuum output?

Oh, and by the way: why do you have autovacuum and a manual vacuum run
every night plus the vacuum run with verbose?

> Urgent help would be very much appreciated.

That's a bit late here ;-)

Kind regards

--
                Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum