Re: Restart after power outage: createdb - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jim Nasby
Subject Re: Restart after power outage: createdb
Date
List pgsql-general
On Sep 27, 2006, at 6:24 AM, Jon Lapham wrote:
> Jim Nasby wrote:
>>> [lapham@localhost ~]$ psql bar
>>> psql: FATAL:  database "bar" does not exist
>>> [lapham@localhost ~]$ createdb bar
>>> createdb: database creation failed: ERROR: could not create
>>> directory "base/65536": File exists
>>> [lapham@localhost ~]$ createdb bar
>> Could this be a timing issue? IE: are you just issuing the first
>> createdb bar too soon after the database has started?
>> I suspect this is a bug...
>
> Probably not too soon, since postgresql is started by init.d during
> boot and it is probably a minute or so after that before I can get
> logged in, open a shell, issue the commands, etc.

My brain is foggy on exactly what rules are used to clean $PGDATA up
after a crash, but I'm pretty sure it's not supposed to work like
that. If you can re-test with 8.2RC1 and still reproduce it (please
watch the logs to make sure crash recovery is complete before you try
the createdb), I'd ask on pgsql-bugs.