Re: Outstanding patches - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Outstanding patches
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> On Thu, Nov 07, 2002 at 12:27:05AM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
>> CLUSTER ALL patch: I have a problem with this, specifically the fact
>> that it changes CLUSTER into a multi-transaction operation.

> That was your suggestion...

Well, it'd be okay (IMHO anyway) if it only happened for CLUSTER ALL.
You've built it in a way that the restriction applies to single-table
CLUSTERs, which is an unnecessary step backwards.

What I think I'd like to see is
CLUSTER index ON table    -- does not hack transactionsCLUSTER table -- recluster a table, does not hack
transactionsCLUSTER-- recluster all tables, works like VACUUM

This would allow people to build functions that do selective CLUSTERing,
at the price of holding more exclusive locks.