Re: Add parallelism and glibc dependent only options to reindexdb - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Add parallelism and glibc dependent only options to reindexdb
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> On 2019-Jul-22, Julien Rouhaud wrote:
>> On Mon, Jul 22, 2019 at 5:11 PM Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
>>> Can we use List for this instead?

>> Isn't that for backend code only?

> Well, we already have palloc() on the frontend side, and list.c doesn't
> have any elog()/ereport(), so it should be possible to use it ... I do
> see that it uses MemoryContextAlloc() in a few places.  Maybe we can
> just #define that to palloc()?

I'm not happy about either the idea of pulling all of list.c into
frontend programs, or restricting it to be frontend-safe.  That's
very fundamental infrastructure and I don't want it laboring under
such a restriction.  Furthermore, List usage generally leaks memory
like mad (cf nearby list_concat discussion) which doesn't seem like
something we want for frontend code.