Re: Add parallelism and glibc dependent only options to reindexdb - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: Add parallelism and glibc dependent only options to reindexdb
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 2019-Jul-22, Julien Rouhaud wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 22, 2019 at 5:11 PM Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> >
> > > I considered this, but it would require to adapt all code that declare
> > > SimpleStringList stack variable (vacuumdb.c, clusterdb.c,
> > > createuser.c, pg_dumpall.c and pg_dump.c), so it looked like too much
> > > trouble to avoid 2 local variables here and 1 in vacuumdb.c.  I don't
> > > have a strong opinion here, so I can go for it if you prefer.
> >
> > Can we use List for this instead?
>
> Isn't that for backend code only?

Well, we already have palloc() on the frontend side, and list.c doesn't
have any elog()/ereport(), so it should be possible to use it ... I do
see that it uses MemoryContextAlloc() in a few places.  Maybe we can
just #define that to palloc()?

(Maybe we can use the impulse to get rid of these "simple lists"
altogether?)