Install Problem - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From CONDLEJ@chplink.chp.edu
Subject Install Problem
Date
List pgsql-novice
I have narrowed my install problem to as follows:
I am running Solaris 2.7
I am running Postgresql -7.1.2
My installation fails right after running ./configure right after untar the
distribution.

From what I can read from the log  it fails at
gcc -o conftest conftest.c -lreadline
ld: fatal: library -readline: not found

I then ran it with --without-readline as was suggested in another post.

I then get this error
Undefined           first referenced
 symbol                  in file
optreset                /var/tmp/cc8bnjqR.p
ld: fatal : Symbol referencing errors. No output written to conftest

The last two days have been my first experiance with postgreql.  I am more
familiar with Oracle.  Please help have been all over the net looking for help
on this.

Joe