Re: Help with adding C-Language Functions - Mailing list pgsql-interfaces

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Help with adding C-Language Functions
Date
List pgsql-interfaces
Seamus Thomas Carroll <carrolls@cpsc.ucalgary.ca> writes:
> I changed my file from BlackboardFunctions.c to all lowercase,
> blackboardfunctions.c, and the database now finds the add_one function.

I'm betting that the actual sequence of events was more like this:
CREATE FUNCTION f1(...) as '/home/.../BlackboardFunctions' ...;[ test f1, it works, cool ][ add add_one to C source
file,recompile ]CREATE FUNCTION add_one(...) as '/home/.../BlackboardFunctions' ...;[ fails ][ rename file ]CREATE
FUNCTIONadd_one(...) as '/home/.../blackboardfunctions' ...;[ works ]

The reason the second try didn't work is that an existing backend will
not re-load an already loaded .so file, unless you force it to with the
LOAD command.  It doesn't notice that you've modified the file.  Had you
started a fresh session, things would have worked, too.
        regards, tom lane