Re: Re: Latest parser changes - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Re: Latest parser changes
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> So I'm guessing again (my development laptop is powered off right now)
> that the regression test is only partially damaged, perhaps with a
> column name problem?? I'll try to look at it this weekend.

The problem is this query now fails:  SELECT '' AS four, path(f1) FROM POLYGON_TBL;
! ERROR:  parser: parse error at or near "("

Evidently, although "path" is still accepted as a type name, it's
not allowable as a function name, which puts a crimp in type coercion.

AFAICT from a quick scan of SQL99, PATH is only intended to be used
in specialized contexts like SET PATH.  It is *not* a data type nor
needed in type-related constructs.

I think this could be fixed by removing the generic->PATH_P production
and allowing PATH to be a ColId instead of just a ColLabel.  Of course,
that just makes one wonder why bother to make it a keyword yet, when
we don't yet have any productions that need it...