Re: WIP: to_char, support for EEEE format - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: WIP: to_char, support for EEEE format
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Brendan Jurd <direvus@gmail.com> writes:
> Well, I tried this and as it turns out the patch casts the value to a
> float8 in order to pass it on to snprintf for sci-notation formatting.

Well, that's pretty dumb.  Quite aside from the range problem, that
would mean that you lose everything past the sixteenth or so digit.
I think that's sufficient grounds for bouncing the patch back for
rework right there.

What I'd consider instead is calling numeric_out and then working
with the result of that.  It would always be f-format, so you'd
have to do your own conversion to e-format, but you could do it
without any risk of precision or range loss.