Re: pg_proc.probin should become text? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: pg_proc.probin should become text?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> On Mon, Aug 3, 2009 at 10:03 PM, Tom Lane<tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> I think that the least painful solution might be to change
>> pg_proc.probin to be declared as text. �Otherwise we're going to need
>> version-specific klugery in pg_dump and who knows where else.

> Will that require a special hack in pg_migrator?

No, pg_dump (and hence pg_migrator) wouldn't care.

If we thought we were going to try to back-patch a fix for the
non-ASCII-char problem into older releases, then some other approach
would be preferable.  But given the fact that this hasn't gotten
complained of (at least not enough to be identified) in all the years
since Berkeley, I can't see doing the pushups that would be needed to
back-patch a fix.  It looks to me like everyone has been effectively
assuming that probin stores text, and we should just make it really
truly do that.