Re: SE-PostgreSQL Specifications - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From KaiGai Kohei
Subject Re: SE-PostgreSQL Specifications
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Stephen Frost wrote:
> KaiGai,
>
> * KaiGai Kohei (kaigai@ak.jp.nec.com) wrote:
>> So, we may be able to modify the development plan as follows:
>> * 2nd CommitFest (15-Sep)
>>  - security abstraction layer
>> (- largeobject permission)
>>
>> * 3rd CommitFest (15-Nov)
>>  - basic functionality of SE-PostgreSQL
>>
>> * 4th CommitFest (15-Jan)
>>  - full functionality of SE-PostgreSQL
>>    (row-level controls, filesystem permissions, ...)
>
> Not to throw water on this right from the get-go, but I think getting
> the security abstraction and basic SE-PostgreSQL functionality (based on
> existing PG permissions) into 8.5 will be enough of a stretch.
> row-level security needs to be implement in PG proper first, before we
> can add the SE-PG hooks for it.  That's going to be a serious amount of
> work by itself, and is something which is extremely unlikely to make
> sense to commit that late in the cycle.

It seems to me it is a bit early to conclude what feature will be
included into 8.5 and what feature is not so.
The above plan is a very rough sketch.
Anyway, what I would like to say is I can agree to focus on the security
abstraction layer earlier than SE-PostgreSQL feature.

--
OSS Platform Development Division, NEC
KaiGai Kohei <kaigai@ak.jp.nec.com>