Re: RFC: planner statistics in 7.2 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: RFC: planner statistics in 7.2
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Remember one idea is for index scans to automatically update the expired
> flag in the index bitfields when they check the heap tuple.

There is no such flag, and I'm not planning to add one before I fix
statistics ;-)

There are a number of things that'd have to be thought about before
such a thing could happen.  For one thing, trying to obtain write locks
instead of read locks during a btree scan would blow us out of the water
for supporting concurrent btree operations.