Re: storage engine , mysql syntax CREATE TABLE t (i INT) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: storage engine , mysql syntax CREATE TABLE t (i INT)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
"Scott Marlowe" <smarlowe@qwest.net> writes:
> On Sun, 2004-07-25 at 22:23, Tom Lane wrote:
>> I don't think
>> it's either practical or interesting to try to introduce an equivalent
>> layering into Postgres.

> I can possibly see a use for a row locking storage system, i.e. non MVCC
> for some applications.  But I can't see it being worth the amount of
> work it would require.

I can't either.  The implications of such a thing really are so
far-reaching that it could not be isolated in a nice little layered API.
To take one example, we'd have to reexamine the locking and crash-safety
behavior for every single command that updates the system catalogs.

For better or for worse, I think we're married to MVCC.