Re: GiST support for UUIDs - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: GiST support for UUIDs
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Paul A Jungwirth <pj@illuminatedcomputing.com> writes:
> I'm interested in adding GiST support for the UUID column type from
> the uuid-ossp extension. This has been requested and attempted before:
> I've used Postgres for a long time, but I've only dabbled a bit in the
> source code. So I'm curious where this change would go? The btree_gist
> extension? The uuid-ossp extension? Somewhere else?

btree_gist, I'd think, assuming you are only thinking of btree-equivalent
semantics and not anything more outre.  uuid-ossp is only concerned with
UUID generation algorithms, not with storage or indexing.  btree_gist
already has a bunch of infrastructure for this type of GiST opclass,
so it should be pretty straightforward to add it there (at least up to
making it work; the overhead of an extension version bump will probably
exceed the useful payload :-( ).