Re: [HACKERS] Removing a user's password - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Removing a user's password
Date
List pgsql-patches
> Well, they are not actually removing it, just setting it to NULL, as
> though a password was never assigned.  We have a way for users to set
> it, but no way for them to remove it.

If they had a way to remove it, then they'd no longer be able to log in
(assuming password auth is being used, and if it isn't then who cares?)
I'm not seeing much of anything here except a foot-gun.  It might look
nice on the argument of symmetry, but as far as actual functionality
goes, I think it'd be a waste of code space.  How many people have
actually asked for this, in all the years the password support has
been there?

            regards, tom lane