Re: Sequence usage patch - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Sequence usage patch
Date
List pgsql-patches
There was a lot of discussion about this patch, and shorter version
posted with just the CURRENT part.  However, I think some felt that this
wasn't a standard yet, and therefore weren't ready to implement this.
Is that correct?

-- Start of PGP signed section.

http://216.239.37.100/search?q=cache:s5eWP72lHKcJ:www7b.software.ibm.com/dmdd/library/techarticle/0302fielding/0302fielding.html+%22Bobby+Fielding%22+&hl=en&lr=lang_en&ie=UTF-8

> DB2 uses PREVIOUS VALUE FOR <seqname> as their currval() (nothing in
> spec about this).  I don't see PREVIOUS as a reserved word, but CURRENT
> certainly is -- WHERE CURRENT OF for cursors, and several other places.
>
> The attached patch makes CURRENT a reserved word.  VALUE is treated as
> an IDENT to preserve the ability to use it as a column.
>
> SequenceOp is the node (primnode) used in the executor, and required
> splitting up nextval / currval into public and internal interfaces.  The
> internal interface operates on the sequence OID, and the public
> interface on the sequence name as usual.
>
> Dependencies are recorded for the SequenceOp node so now we cannot drop
> a sequence used in a default expression.
>
> I've not figured out the best place to record the dependency to prevent
> the default expression from being changed for SERIAL columns yet, but
> that should be a separate patch.  The concept of a serial will need to
> be brought in deeper than parser/analyze.c for this to happen.
>
> No documentation changes attached.  I want to know whether this would be
> applied before I make those.
>

> Tom,
>
> Should I have created another parser node strictly for the gram.y stuff,
> then had it copy the info to the primnode within parse_expr.c?  As it
> is, SequenceOp is left with a hanging RangeVar that is unused past that
> point.
> --
> Rod Taylor <rbt@rbt.ca>
>
> PGP Key: http://www.rbt.ca/rbtpub.asc