Re: Substring question - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Substring question
Date
List pgsql-general
Michael Fuhr <mike@fuhr.org> writes:
> On Mon, Dec 13, 2004 at 06:17:27PM +0000, Adam Witney wrote:
>> I would like to be able to select like this (this is a regular expression I
>> would do in perl)

>   Remember that the backslash (\) already has a special meaning in
>   PostgreSQL string literals.  To write a pattern constant that
>   contains a backslash, you must write two backslashes in the
>   statement.

> Is that what you're after?

Also, our regular expression engine is based on Tcl's, which has some
subtle differences from Perl's.  I believe this particular regexp
would act the same in both, but if you are a regexp guru you might
run into things that act differently.

            regards, tom lane