Re: pg_autovacuum Win32 Service startup delay - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: pg_autovacuum Win32 Service startup delay
Date
List pgsql-patches
"Dave Page" <dpage@vale-housing.co.uk> writes:
> When starting as a service at boot time on Windows, pg_autovacuum may
> fail to start because the PostgreSQL service is still starting up. This
> patch causes the service to attempt a second connection 30 seconds after
> the initial connection failure before giving up entirely.

Hm.  In event that the system crashed beforehand, it could require much
more than 30 seconds to finish replaying the old WAL log.  So the above
doesn't seem super robust to me.  Would it be reasonable to try every 30
seconds for five minutes, or some such?  (Five minutes at least has a
defensible rationale, ie it's the default checkpoint interval and we
expect we can replay the log at least as fast as it was created
initially.)

            regards, tom lane