Re: Re: BUG #5065: pg_ctl start fails as administrator, with "could not locate matching postgres executable" - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Re: BUG #5065: pg_ctl start fails as administrator, with "could not locate matching postgres executable"
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> writes:
> The patch doesn't change what the code aims to do, only the way it
> does it. The existing code does this:
> The net result /should/ be the same, but the second method is
> apparently a little more robust.

Do we have any idea why?  I am always distrustful of random changes made
with no theory as to why they fix a problem.  My experience is that such
changes are almost always wrong, once you find out what the problem
*really* is.

            regards, tom lane