Re: [HACKERS] OR clause status - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [HACKERS] OR clause status
Date
List pgsql-hackers
David Hartwig <daveh@insightdist.com> writes:
> Ran a few tests last night.   So far, works great for single, non-internal,
> attributes.  However, I was not able to get the query to use the table's oid
> index when such an index existed.

Perhaps this is an artifact of the type-coercion issue (see "indexes and
floats" thread on pg-hackers).  I find I have to write something like

    WHERE oid = 123456::oid

to get the system to use an index on OID.  If I write

    WHERE oid = 123456

it takes it, but does it by sequential scan :-(

I do not know if it's acted like that all along or it's a result
of Tom's type coercion fixes of a couple months ago.