Re: PITR for postgresql-7.3 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: PITR for postgresql-7.3
Date
List pgsql-general
Mary Ellen Fitzpatrick <mfitzpat@bu.edu> writes:
> I am trying to run pg_dump on the database with the corrupt table, and
> try to restore the database.  I also tried to vacuumdb the database and
> get the same error.
> I get the following error.

> pg_dump <database>
> pg_dump: query to obtain list of data types failed: PANIC:  read of clog
> file 100, offset 81920 failed: Success

That looks pretty bad --- it implies that there's corruption in the
pg_type system catalog, not only in your user table.  Which in turn
suggests that it's not a localized problem but might affect many
different data blocks.  I'm afraid that database is probably toast :-(.
An expert might be able to salvage something from it, but only with
great effort, and there'd be no guarantees of getting complete or
consistent data.

            regards, tom lane