Re: bit strings - anyone working on them? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: bit strings - anyone working on them?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> At 11:51 AM 23/04/2003 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>> The only way to get the same answer both ways would be to legislate that
>> int-to-bitstring conversion puts the integer's LSB at the left

> That's what I think we need to do. Alternatively, we put the LSB on the
> right, change the way substring works on varbit, and pad them on the left.
> I suspect this will also break existing apps.

I doubt that we can change the padding rule without violating spec.

How about leaving the cast alone (okay, we can add the cast-directly-to-
a-different-width cases), so as not to break existing apps, and instead
add a separate function that maps an integer to an LSB-first bitstring?